I don’t know if this is normal, but the first thing my sister and I crave every morning is dessert. While I generally eat a banana to satisfy my sweet craving, my sister comes up with some super healthy breakfast (dessert) ideas, like this one — chocolate hazelnut porridge. We usually keep jars full of homemade, all natural chocolate hazelnut butter and chocolate almond butter at the ready. You can simply mix a dollop of this butter with oats, spread it on toast or eat it plain by the spoonful.
This porridge can be eaten hot or cold. I like it cold because it tastes more like a pudding than porridge.
Chocolate Hazelnut Porridge
1 cup — milk
1/4 cup — rolled oats
1 tbsp — chia seeds
1 (very generous) tbsp — chocolate hazelnut butter (or Nutella)
1 tbsp — roasted hazelnuts, chopped (optional)
to taste — agave syrup/honey/maple syrup (optional)
If you like it hot:
1) Mix the oats, chia seeds and milk and leave it in the fridge to soak overnight. (This step is optional but it helps the oats and chia seeds cook a lot more quickly if you’re in a morning rush.)
2) Right before serving, heat it in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes. You may need to add a little more milk if it gets undesirably thick.
3) Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread, roasted hazelnuts and sweetening agent and serve.
If you like it cold:
1) Heat the milk, oats and chia seeds in the microwave for 3-4 minutes or until the oats are cooked.
2) Stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread, roasted hazelnuts and sweetening agent, cover and leave it in the fridge until breakfast next morning.