For the cake layer:
1 1/2 cups – plain flour
1 cup – sugar
3 tbsp – unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp – baking soda
1/2 tsp – salt
6 tbsps – oil
1 tbsp – white vinegar
1 tsp – vanilla extract
1 cup – ice cold water
1) Mix all the ingredients very well with a whisk.
2) Pour all the liquids into the dry flour mixture and mix well with a whisk until the batter is smooth. Do not over beat.
3) Pour the batter in a 9″ cake pan with a loose bottom or a spring form pan. Bake the cake for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the top is springy when touched. When it’s done, take it out and cool completely.
4) Once the cake is cool, brush it with some brandy or amaretto (optional).
For the dark chocolate mousse:
150 gms – mini marshmallows
50 gms (1/2 stick) – unsalted butter
250 gms – dark chocolate (at least 60% cacao), chopped
1/4 cup – boiling hot water
250 ml – heavy cream
1 tsp – pure vanilla extract
1) Place all the ingredients except heavy cream and vanilla in a non-stick saucepan and stir together on med-low heat until it’s all smooth and melted. Take off from the heat and let it cool.
2) While the chocolate mixture is cooling, whip the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form (not stiff).
3) Gently fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until it’s all mixed. Pour this mousse on the cake layer and chill it in the fridge until it’s well set.
For the white chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup – white chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp – heavy cream
1/2 cup – sour cream
1) Heat the heavy cream till it’s hot but not boiling.
2) Pour it over the chopped chocolate and let it sit undisturbed for 2 minutes. Then stir it up till all the chocolate melts. Let it cool to room temperature. Then whisk in the sour cream and pour the glaze over the dark chocolate mousse layer. Refrigerate till set.
3) Decorate with berries of your choice and serve.